Saturday, October 17, 2009

Saturday...

One of the biggest issues in the kitchen is food waste. Since my shopping day is Monday, I need to clean out and use what I have.
Watermelon - Monday, I cleaned out a watermelon and saved the pulp and juice. What to do with it. From a different watermelon, I made watermelon sorbet. The kids only sorta liked it. Today, I made smoothies with watermelon, a frozen banana, and v8 splash. Kids loved it. So I poured the watermelon puree into ice cube trays and muffin tins to freeze and have a taste of summer during the winter.
Cabbage - Monday, I retrieved my last 2 heads of cabbage. For dinner tonight, I'm making a beef stew with onions, celery, and cabbage to eat with mashed potatoes. Still have some left to either make pierogies or coleslaw...We'll see.
Tomatillos - I made the puree, added spices for the final batch of salsa verde. Should get 3 quarts canned.

Remaining - cooked and pureed sweet potatoes - what to do? how much time will it take. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment